Assoc Anti-Malware Engineer
|7 June 2011|
The Security Response Engineer will be responsible for:
– Analyzing threat samples in order to identify its overall purpose & specific functionalities, such as:
– Creating heuristic detections, as well as, mitigation tools for threats (worms, trojans, exploits, viruses)
– Creating automation scripts and tools in aid of threat analysis
– Leading research efforts to understand the latest threats and how they relate to the emerging threat landscape
– Authoring comprehensive technical reports, blog articles and whitepapers and other media content for publication
A successful applicant will possess some or all of the following:
– BS Degree (preferably in a computer science-related field), or equivalent industry experience. MS degree is a plus.
– Knowledge and hands-on experience with 80×86 assembly language
– Experience in using reverse-engineering tools e.g. OllyDbg, IDA Pro, Hiew, Wireshark, SysInternals Suite etc is an advantage
– Awareness of known threat techniques & attack vectors e.g. rootkits, exploits etc
– Broad understanding of networking protocols, TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP, SMTP etc
– Experience in programming in C/C++, Perl, Python, Ruby, SQL is an advantage.
– A broad understanding of current Internet threat landscape is an advantage.
– Understanding of new & existing architectures e.g. Windows OS internals, mobile platforms etc
– Interpersonal skills: Must be able to interact comfortably with members of the worldwide Response Team and employees in other departments in Symantec.
– Planning and organization: The ability to plan and multi-task in an efficient manner to achieve goals.
– Communication: The ability to communicate complex issues in a simple manner, both written and verbal. Many of the people the role comes into contact with are located in different countries and may have differing abilities speaking English.
– Team player: The role requires the ability to work in a close-knit worldwide team to achieve project goals.
– Innovation: Not only the solution, but in many cases even the question, may not be obvious when faced with potential security incidents. The ability to innovate creative solutions and deliver them to the customer in a timely manner is mandatory.
Associate Staffing Specialist, Symantec Corporation
Office: +353 (1) 861-7070 Mobile: +353 860225242
Leave a reply